Thursday, February 10, 2011

Week 6


Week six of Project 52 wasn't easy. I guess maybe if I went with my first ideas, it would have been, but the Flickr group filled up with similar ideas pretty quickly, so I wanted to find something else.


The theme? Words.


Since Charlie has begun writing some words, I thought about doing that. Or spelling something on a Scrabble board. Or using blocks. Everyone else had the same idea.


Feeling very uncreative, I took my camera and new (to me) 50-200mm lens with me on a day trip to Calais yesterday. I was hoping to find a cool sign. I continued to be uninspired.


In the end, I got my husband to swing off the 785 (for those not in the know, it's a road linking Saint George to this area; not exactly high-traffic), which is also known as the Mine Road, onto a side road that takes us to the old Mount Pleasant mine. Tungsten was mined here thirty years ago, but it's basically been closed since then. I find it kind of eerie, really--you can see the abandoned mine shafts on the hill, and then the huge buildings, still lit, rising out of the valley. This, of course, is all out in the middle of nowheresville. There are signs everywhere: no hunting, no trespassing, no this, no that. It's not hard to tell what their message is. The mine is currently owned by Adex Mining and, according to Wikipedia, they are testing for tin deposits and whatnot.


Anyway, 'no trespassing' counts as words, and I've always wanted to snap a photo of this place, so there you have it - this week's entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment