Friday, February 18, 2011

Ma-ma-ma-MACRO!

So, among the bajillion things I wanted for camera gear, a macro lens was fairly high up. However, a macro lens is really just for playing. It's not like I'd get a ton of use out of it. So I was hesitant to drop six hundred bucks on a macro lens.

Instead, I went with extension tubes, which I bought on eBay for fifteen bucks. All they do is place your lens further from your camera, which allows you to get closer to your subject. (How's that for a detailed description?) Basically, one can turn almost any lens above a 35mm into a macro lens. Hooray!

Here's a shot, first, with my 50mm, no extension tubes. This is how close I can get and still keep the baby's breath in focus. (Note: it's insanely dark here today, so my kitchen light was on and I was still shooting wide open. I loathe dim days!)


Add the extension tubes, and this is what baby's breath looks like:


The depth of field is so shallow since I had to shoot wide open, so it's the bubbles INSIDE the water drop that are in focus.



This is a tiny bud on my Christmas cactus. Pretty little thing, isn't it?



I can see my camera will be in my hands non-stop for the next few days. Macro is fun!


1 comment: