Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week 12

Project 52 - week 12, already! Time flies. This week's theme is 'jewelry box'. Eurgh. I have plenty of jewelry, but not a lot of it is meaningful. I mentioned this at my grandmother's house tonight, and immediately found myself with her, standing in front of her dresser, looking at old jewelry (I inherited my love for this kind of thing from her). So I snapped a few photos of my favourite pieces. The first is the wedding band of my great-great-great grandfather's first wife. It is inscribed with their wedding date: June 7th, (19)04. The second is my grandfather's mother's necklace. I was a bit reluctant to ask Gramps if I could take a photo of his hands holding the necklace, since the last time I took a photo of his hands, it ended up in a magazine ;), so I said, "Gramps, you'd do anything for me, right?" Got a "Sure will!" out of that without hesitation, so those are Grampie's hands with great-Nannie Helene's necklace. Third is a pair of delicate silver bangles of my grandmother's. I wore them on my wedding day.



Thought I'd throw in another photo: Charlie in his new hat.

In other photo news, my new lens (smc DA* 16-50mm f. 2.8) arrived today. Oh, it's a beaut! Sadly, my camera seems to be back-focusing or something a bit, as my photos are not in focus far more often than not. Grumble grumble. I don't want to send my camera away, but I may have to. I've put purchasing the K5 on hold until later this spring, so maybe I'll do it then and muddle through now by taking a gazillion photos of the same scene in order to get one in focus. Sadly, I didn't know this last week when doing a photo session and ended up with a poor selection of barely-passable photos. Bummer.
I'm hoping to get out for some practice lots over the next few weeks, so check back for updates!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just came across your blog and love what you are doing. You take great photos and I can't believe you call yourself a beginner because they look amazing! And I noticed you've been doing it for less than a year but I would not have guessed that it only took a year to gain this experience :) It's inspiring to see your journey! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks so much! There are days when I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of photography. Comments like yours sure give me a boost. :)

    ReplyDelete