Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hockey gals!

Confession time. I had a bad session. A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to take photos of one of the local women's hockey teams - the Cougars - at one of their final practices for the season. I happily agreed and burst into the dressing room with my camera gear and a big smile. Then I started shooting. Immediately I realized that this was not going to go well. The lighting at the indoor rink is poor. The air is cold. My lenses refused to focus properly. My shutter speed dropped even with a high ISO, and the constant movement you'd expect with women dressing for hockey became a blur. I became horribly distracted by trying to get my darn photos to just TURN OUT. Once they hit the ice, things did not improve. I planted myself in one of three places (inside one of the boxes, and at either end of the rink) and shot. Hundreds of photos. More than half of them were pitiful. Thank goodness for understanding ladies!! I felt awful about their shoot becoming an Epic Fail, but they were gracious about it all. I hope they enjoyed the shots I did manage to make, even if they aren't up to par. In any event, I really had fun watching the Cougars scrimmage. One thing is for sure - every single one of them could skate circles around me! I will likely post later this evening or tomorrow as well. I borrowed my niece for a couple of hours last Friday to practice, but I don't want to post them until they've had a chance to see them. And tomorrow - my very first newborn, in the form of 10-day-old Jenna. Squeeeee!1!1! A few hockey pics. Many thanks to the Cougars for being good sports. I could tell they absolutely love playing, and that's inspiring to me. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment