Monday, March 7, 2011

Chocolate chip cookies.





In the interest of full disclosure...I'm not crazy about cookies. I've only ever met one cookie I'd run a mile for: the Currie House cookie. Ten years ago (yikes...TEN years ago!?) my cousin and I began our three-summer tenure at the lovely Currie House, an historical site here in Fredericton Junction, where we catalogued and gave tours. We also baked cookies to have on hand when the local kids would inevitably stop by.


I still don't know how we made them SO GOOD. I use the same recipe all the time, and they're very...meh. When we baked them there, they were the most glorious cookie known to man. I'm not kidding.

Anyway, since those glory days, I have not found a cookie to match those ones. And, contrary to what you might think - the recipe I am about to ramble on about? Still doesn't match it. But they're darn good.

Today it is horribly rainy and I still went to the grocery store in it. Anyone who knows me knows I love the grocery store. We live 30 minutes from the nearest one and I'd still go every day if I had to. So, armed with--well, nothing, since it WASN'T pouring when we left the house, Charlie and I soggily marched around the Superstore to pick up the four things on my list - bananas, strawberries, organic sugar, and lettuce. Ninety dollars later (ahem), I came home with those things, 100 other things, and President's Choice mini fudge chips, which are new and which I HAD TO HAVE. Of course, then I had to bake something with them, so I found "Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies" on Le Internet and went to town, figuratively speaking.

First, sift 2 1/4 cups of flour, 1/2 t. salt and 1 t. baking soda into a bowl and set aside.


In another bowl, cream together a cup of softened unsalted butter and 3/4 cup of sugar.


Toss in a couple of eggs and some vanilla, and then you have a soft, creamy dough. Nom nom nom. I love cookie dough. In fact, I vastly prefer it to the final product.


Next, you add the flour GRADUALLY and beat it into a stiffer dough. I emphasize gradually because, as always happens when I multi-task, I quit paying attention and dumped all of the flour in after taking this shot. Then I had to scoop some out and do it properly.




These are the crack--I mean, the mini fudge chips. I am a firm believer that PC products rule everything, and these are no exception. Look at them.


LOOK AT THEM.





Add in some nuts, too, and stir it all up. Mmmmm.







Plop it on the pans by the heaping tablespoon.







375 oven for 8 minutes (your time may vary).







Kid verdict: as you can see by the first photo in this post, his mouth was too full of cookie to say, but I'm guessing since he had two and was devastated when I said no to a third one, he loved them.


These really are great cookies. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment